Mon–Fri 9.30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Sat, Sun: 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Western barracks wing (Kasernenflügel West) on the grounds of Hellerau Festival Theatre.
Entrance is free.
An extensive exhibition on the founding, history and current development of Hellerau, developed by the craftsmen’s association Deutscher Werkbund Sachsen in 2006 and since complemented by additional displays, has been put on permanent display in the western barracks wing at Hellerau Festival Theatre.
The wide panorama ranges from the 1906 idea of founding the first German Garden City with its workshops, housing development and Festival Theatre, all the way to modern developments; visitors learn not only about Dresden life, but also about German cultural history in the twentieth and early twenty-first centuries. The subject is sorted into concise sections, clearly revealing the huge changes the Festival Theatre grounds and the German Workshops have undergone in terms of their use and ownership.
The exhibition is funded by the Wüstenrot Foundation, Kulturstiftung des Freistaates Sachsen, the City of Dresden, Deutsche Werkstätten Hellerau GmbH, Grundbesitz Hellerau GmbH and STESAD GmbH.
The show is rounded off by a plaster model on a scale of 1:100 kindly provided on loan to visitors to Hellerau by the Hamburg University of Fine Arts with the support of the Heinrich Tessenow Society.