In the midst of sweeping efforts to reform the teaching of music and the practice of theatre at the start of the twentieth century, the Jaques-Dalcroze school was established in Hellerau as a symbol of radical change. The visionaries Adolphe Appia, Émile Jaques-Dalcroze and Alexander von Salzmann used the Great Hall of the Festival Theatre, designed by Heinrich Tessenow, for a fundamental examination of the relationship between music, movement, space and light. The exhibition Space of visionaries – Appia, Dalcroze, von Salzmann, curated by Claire Kuschnig and Gabriele Gorgas, uses historical material such as letters, drawings and photographs to reconstruct this dawn of a new era, also shedding light on the festival events of 1912/1913. The work of the lighting reformer Alexander von Salzmann is extensively documented. Theatre spaces are presented which pick up on the ideas tried out in Hellerau.
Studio- u. Ecksalon Ost, Ecksalon West